Skip to content

Residence and/or Work Permits

For stays exceeding 3 months as well as stays in connection with studies or employment, including work as au pair, a residence and/or work permit is required.


From 1 July 2019, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark including all Danish diplomatic missions are introducing online payment of the embassy fee for residence or work permit.

The embassy fee should be paid online using this link

The receipt for the payment should be submitted at the Danish Visa Application Centre (VFS) when you hand in your passport, relevant documentation and supply biometrics. Please note that in R/W permit cases there are three fees to be paid. 1) The fee to either The Danish Immigration Service or The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), 2) the fee to the Danish embassy (using the link and 3) the fee to the Danish Visa Application Centre (VFS).

If the applicant is visa excempted the visa fee will be returned to the credit card once the Embassy process the application.

In the event of a refusal, the fee is not reimbursed. For applications lodged at VFS in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City an additional service fee will be applicable. 

General Information

As of the 20th May 2012, residence permits will be issued as residence cards with biometric data (photo and fingerprints) stored in a chip. A residence card serves as proof that the applicant hold residency. These amendments are consequences of the implementation of the EU decree on homogeneous design of residence permits within Danish legislation.

Residence permit may be granted to:

  • Persons applying for family reunification
  • Persons going to work or study in Denmark

Family reunification
Under the rules on family reunification as described in the Danish Aliens Act, aliens with relatives in Denmark have an opportunity to obtain a residence permit in Denmark. Provided certain mandatory conditions are fulfilled, residence permits can be granted to:

  • Spouses, cohabiting companions, and registered partners
  • Children under 15 years of age.
  • Family reunifications in special cases

Here you can download the application packages for the 3 above categories of family reunification by clicking on Danish Immigration Service. The home page is available in English.

Work and Study
Aliens may be eligible for residence permits to work or study in Denmark, according to the rules specified in the Danish Aliens Act.

Work and residence permits may be granted to individuals intending to take paid or unpaid work, as well as to the self-employed. Residence permits for study or other education purposes can be granted to:

  • Students pursuing post-secondary educations
  • Students pursuing basic or youth education programmes
  • Students attending folk high schools (folkehøjskoler)
  • Au pairs, interns or trainees
  • Members of the clergy and missionaries